As a business owner on the East Coast, you know that the winter time means slippery conditions. What have you done to make sure your employees are safe? You don’t want to risk someone slipping and falling on your property. This could result in a serious injury and possible lawsuit. In order to prevent such mishaps, you should take the proper safety precautions to ensure everyone’s safety.
Make it a goal to keep your entire team safe on your business premises, especially when colder weather arrives. The more your employees worry about their safety, the less productive your enterprise will be. In order to ensure a slip and fall free winter this year, here are some suggestions to keep in mind:
• Monitor the weather and changing conditions so you are not caught by surprise later.
• Keep and store an adequate amount of snow and ice removal supplies.
• Shovel and apply ice melt as necessary to keep walking areas clean and dry.
• Provide good lighting and clear path markings in parking lots and walkways.
• Clearly identify steps, ramps, and other elevation changes that might not be visible in snowy conditions.
• Contract with a snow removal company to keep your parking lots clear of snow and ice.
• Apply a slip-resistant floor treatment in areas that tend to become wet and slippery.
• Be on the lookout for fall hazards, such as slippery surfaces due to water, ice, or snow from footwear, black ice, and obstructed sidewalks and roadways.
Here at Hickey-Finn & Co, Inc, we understand that no business runs in the same fashion. However, remaining aware of the risks your property faces and working to improve these conditions during the winter can help prevent serious accidents and injuries. Your obligation to having workers compensation will also keep your employees safe while they work along with the tips provided.